FCSSC offers the city's biggest & best, co-ed, no-contact, for-fun basketball. Loads of fun for rookies, experienced players (who are a little rusty perhaps?!) and anyone who wants a fabulous cardio workout for the week. Swish!
FALL 2019 League Details:
REMEMBER: Registration deadline for FALL 2019 leagues is SEPTEMBER 2, 2019!
Payment must be received in full by the deadline to secure a spot in the league/program of your choice!
FCSSC offers 3 ways to play:
1) Register a full team.
2) Register as an individual & we will place you on a team with other individuals.
3) Register as a small group (register as an individual & request to play with friends. We will place you & your friends on a team with other individuals or small groups).
| What to Expect
||Players in this CO-ED league are a mix of new and experienced players, with varying skill levels, all playing with a for-fun attitude. Self-officiated (no referees) play governed by FCSSC’s unique Spirit Point System. The most fun & sportsmanlike teams have the greatest chance of winning the coveted Championship Prizes! Competitive players are encouraged to find another league to join.
Starts: Sunday, September 8, 2019
Ends: Sunday, Decemeber 15, 2019
No games on October 13 (Thanksgiving).
All games will be played on Sundays*
Starts: Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Ends: Tuesday, Decemeber 17, 2019
All games will be played on Tuesdays*
*In the event that a regular season game must be rescheduled we will be reschedule on our make up game day on Sunday, December 1, 2019. Save the date!
Sunday: 14 weeks
Tuesday: 15 weeks
Games could start at 2pm to 5 pm*.
Games could start as early as 6pm or as late as 10:00pm*.
*Game times change weekly and will be equalized for all teams throughout the season. Please log into your player profile weekly to confirm time and location.
Click the SPORT INFO, RULES & LOCATION tabs (scroll up!) for many more details about this league/program, including equipment requirements and play spaces.
||Look like a team, play like a team! Design & order your team jerseys from FCSSC's jersey partner, Jatt Sports, as soon as you register so they can be ready for your first game!
PLAY MORE, SAVE MORE!
Receive 10% off your second sport, 20% off your third sport and 30% off your fourth sport registration this season! *Cannot be combined with any other discounts.
|*Please review our updated refund policy here before completing your registration.*
Be sure to join FCSSC in supporting local charities by signing up to play in one of our upcoming tournaments:
Kickin' It Old School Charity Soccer Tournament - September 29th, 2019
All league participants are entitled to exclusive, member-only offers from FCSSC’s Partners, like Steam Whistle Brewing and Winks. Click here for free food, great discounts on gear and much more!
Pick & pay for the league of your choice by clicking on the appropriate link in the grid below. Secure your spot before it sells out!
IMPORTANT: All players must be 19 years or older to play with FCSSC, no exceptions.
Prices before taxes. Registrations fully refundable BEFORE the registration deadline. Click to review FCSSC's **NEW** REFUND POLICY.
**NOTICE**League schedules will be posted online on the Friday before your first game/activity. Most schedules will be posted by Friday, September 6th, 2019
Is the league/program you want sold out?
Please send an email with your name, phone number, desired sport and if you are a full team or individual to firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the waiting list. We will contact you if/when a spot opens up.
Prices before taxes
1. Pre-Game – Spirit Points, Equipment, Game Time, Defaults, Fields
Play that is competitive, overly aggressive, rough and/or unsportsmanlike such as pushing, shoving, elbowing, shouldering, tripping, hacking, slashing, sliding, tackling, ball blasting, chirping, name calling, threats and intimidation, is prohibited and will not be tolerated by FCSSC. FCSSC IS FIRST-AND-FOREMOST-FOR-FUN. ANY ROUGH OR PHYSICAL PLAY WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE EXPULSION FROM THE GAME, THE LEAGUE, THE CLUB AND/OR ALL OF THE ABOVE. All players should go out of their way to avoid contact with other players and/or eliminate actions or behaviours that could jeopardize player safety. If accidental contact occurs it is expected that players will apologize for that contact, ensure everyone is alright and stop the game to seek appropriate help as required. THIS RULE SUPERSEDES ALL OTHERS!
Spirit Points: An integral part of all the sports that the Forest City Sport & Social Club offers. It is based on the primary focus of the FCSSC, which is sportsmanship and to have FUN...NOT on competitive and aggressive sport.
Equipment/Set-Up: FCSSC Game Coordinators will provide basketballs for each game. Teams are welcome to bring their own balls for warm-up and practice. In addition, FCSSC’s Game Coordinator will keep score when possible (ie. Only one game in the gym at a time). If the FCSSC Game Coordinator is unable to keep score, we ask that each team select a player to assist in keeping score. Each team should bring both light and dark coloured shirts to each and every game.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early so that you can start your games on time.
- Games are 55 minutes in length, with a 2 minute break at halftime.
- Teams are comprised of four (4) players with a minimum of one (1) woman and one (1) man on the court at all times.
- A default will occur if any team cannot field a squad by 10 minutes after the official start time. A team can play with a minimum of 3 people, as long as one (1) of the players is a woman and one (1) is a man.
- Captains may agree to waive the rules regarding gender minimum but this should be decided before the game starts. IF IT IS AGREED THAT THE GAME COUNTS, IT COUNTS!
2. In Game – General Rules, Fouls, Dunking
- Games begin with a jump ball done by the FCSSC Game Coordinator.
- Defensive play is man-to-man only (no zone defense). You can pick up your man anywhere on the court, however double teaming can only be done on your side of half
- After a team has scored a basket they must begin defending at the half line. Giving the offensive team room to move out of their half. Please note: If the shot is missed and the defensive team gets the rebound, the opposition must begin defending their basket at the centre line. If the offence team get the rebound then possession begins immediately.
- Players may substitute after a basket or change on the fly throughout the game.
- Each basket scored counts as a single point (regardless of where the shot was taken from i.e. no 3-pointers)
- An out of bounds ball in favour of the attacking team, or a defensive foul results in the attacking team taking possession of the ball at the top of the key. At this point, the ball must be “checked” in by the defensive team before play can resume. Once the ball has been “checked” in, the offensive player can dribble the ball but must make a pass (S/he cannot score directly off the check-in). If an offensive player causes a foul, the defensive team takes the ball to the closest sideline to the foul and starts play by inbounding the ball.
- When the ball is 'tied up', and a jump ball call is made, the team who is on defense will be awarded possession of the ball.
- Teams may call a one (1) minute time-out per half if needed except in the final 10 minutes of play.
- A game can end in a tie during the regular season. In the playoffs, a game that is tied at the end of regulation time is decided by a three-minute overtime period. If the game is still tied after the overtime, the next basket will win. (Please note that playoff games should only be 50 minutes in length in anticipation of needing the extra time to settle a tie).
- "Three seconds in the key": If an offensive player is in the key for more than 3 seconds, the defensive player may warn the player. An offensive player can receive 2 warnings, after the 3rd warning an automatic turnover occurs. Please note that time starts when the ball crosses half court. Counting should go as follows: “one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand”.
- Backcourt violation (otherwise known as over-and-back) – the offensive team cannot cross back over the centre line once they have crossed it.
- Players are responsible for calling their own fouls. Please don’t abuse this rule. If a foul call has not been made, the player who has been fouled can also make the foul call.
- All standard basketball infractions are enforced (e.g. reaching-in, body contact of any kind, charging, etc).
- Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by placing or waving a hand in his/her eyes is not allowed. This is a NCAA rule which will reduce the chances of eye injuries. Please keep a hand at least a foot away from someone's eyes.
- Only one of the two players involved with an infraction can make a foul call
- If a foul call is disputed and the two players cannot come to an agreement, the player who allegedly committed the foul will take a shot from the free-throw line. If it goes in, that team gains possession at the free-throw line (the basket does not count towards the final score). A missed basket results in the other team taking possession under their own hoop. Remember that games are timed, so it is not worth wasting time arguing over calls.
- During the last 10 minutes of a game (as announced by the designated timekeeper), if the offensive player with the ball is fouled (whether shooting or not), this person has the option of taking the ball at the top of the key (as usual) OR going to the line and shooting one foul shot. If the player elects to shoot a foul shot and it goes in, it is equivalent to one basket. The ball would then be turned over to the team that had originally committed the foul. If the foul shot does not go in, the ball is live. To avoid defensive players from killing time during the setup for the foul shot, the shooter can attempt the foul shot as soon as the rest of his team is in position for the foul shot (regardless of the position of the defensive players). The foul shooter has a maximum of 20 seconds to take the shot - do not delay the game by taking an unnecessary amount of time.
- Intentional fouls are not condoned by the league ie. a player is on a breakaway lay-up and fouled purposely from behind. This leads to an unsafe play and is not sportsmanlike.
Dunking: If you can dunk, DO NOT HANG ON THE RIM! We are responsible for damages at all facilities. In general, not a lot of dunking goes on in our leagues, so please choose your opportunities with safety and sportsmanship as priorities.
3. Post-Game – Score Reporting, Spirit Points, Departure
Score Reporting: Captains from each team are responsible for reporting or confirming game scores within 48 hours of the completion of the game. Scores can be reported or confirmed via our website at www.fcssc.ca.
Spirit Points: Captains are also responsible for submitting a “Spirit” score for the opposing team each week. This is done when the score is reported or confirmed on the FCSSC website. Spirit points allow you to score your opponent based on your experience playing against them. You can score them based on how fun they were to play against, did they show good sportsmanship, did they follow and know the rules, did they arrive on time etc. All teams should shoot for PERFECT Spirit Points!
Departure: Each week after your game, it is important to leave the court in a timely manner. Teams could be playing after you and will need to get their game started on time. It is also possible that the facility could be closing upon the completion of your game and all staff and FCSSC members will need to depart the building at that time.
A PDF Copy of the Rules can be Downloaded here.
FCSSC plays basketball in full-size (highschool or double) gyms whenever possible. Due to growing league size, this league could be played in multiple gyms this season, including, but not limited to the following:
Bostwick YMCA, Centre Branch YMCA, LDCSS, Lambeth, Easter Seals and more.
Centre Branch YMCA, LDCSS, Bostwick YMCA, Lambeth, Easter Seals and more. Depending on the number of teams in the league we may add more locations.
***Location information is as known at time of posting. Locations are subject to change at any time. Additional locations may be added to accommodate demand.***