Beach Volleyball Int/Rec 6's Rules
SPIRIT POINTS: An integral part of all the sports that the Forest City Sport & Social Club offers. It is based on the primary focus of the FCSSC, which is sportsmanship and to have FUN...NOT on competitive and aggressive sport.
1. Game Time/Default: Please arrive 15 minutes early to ensure that your games start on time. Volleyball matches include 3 games played in 1 hour each week (NEW format), and you should play 3 rally point games to 25. You must win by 2 points, but there is a cap at 27 (i.e. final score of 27-26). If a match concludes early, the teams can continue to play, but the score of the fourth game will not be recorded. Please agree on one person to act as timekeeper. Teams are comprised of six (6) players with a minimum of two (2) women and two (2) men on the court. A default for the first game of a match will occur if any team cannot field a squad 10 minutes after the official start time. (a team that is not ready to play defaults the first set of the match, but can play the second and third games of the match if enough players show up). A team can play with a minimum of 5 people, as long as two (2) players are women and two (2) players are men.
2. General Rules: Rally point scoring WILL be used during league play.
- A player may NOT block or spike a serve.
- Players CAN open-hand volley a serve.
- A server may serve the ball from anywhere along the baseline. The serve will rotate from one team to the next at the start of each game.
- Screening is not allowed on a serve
- A player may play the ball off any part of his/her body, including feet.
- A player may not touch the net during any part of the play. Please call your own net violations.
- Rotate new players in before your team starts a new server.
- A player may pass under the net as long as it does not interfere with the play. In other words, a blocker or hitter may land under the net/cross the line, as long as it happens without stopping the play or hindering the opposition. Please avoid doing this where possible to eliminate the possibility of injury.
- If time runs out in the middle of a game, whoever is winning the game at that moment is considered the winner.
- A team must win at least 5 points in a set in order for it to count as a win/loss. If neither teams gets at least 5 points, the set is deemed a tie.
- If 10 minutes have elapsed after the official start of the game and not enough players are present to field a team, the first game of the match is defaulted. At 20 minutes after the start of the official start time, the second game is defaulted, and at 30 minutes after the official start time, the third game is defaulted. Each defaulted game results in the loss of one (1) in the overall standings.
- Servers DO rotate after five consecutive points.
- Please be aware that ALL THREE games count towards the overall league standings and must be played. (i.e. DO NOT simply play a best 2 out of 3 game match).
- Net serves ARE allowed. This means that if a serve hits the net but the motion of the ball carries it over the net, it is a live ball - it is not a service fault
- Players in the back row are NOT allowed to hit or block at the net. Although there is no 3-metre line indicated on the court, players should use their best judgment to hit from the backcourt area if they are in this position.
- Teams may call a one (1) minute time-out per match if needed.
- Games are played rain or shine.
- For players to be eligible for playoffs, they must have attended a min. of 2 regular season nights (6-8 week season) or 3 nights (9-12 week season).
- Please do not warm-up before your allotted gym time on the outside of the court. This can be distracting to players in a game.
3. Discrepancies: All games are self-refereed. Any disputes will be discussed amongst the two team captains. Please play honestly and call your own infractions (life, net, etc). If a dispute cannot be settled the point should be re-served.
Click here for a pdf version of the rules.
Confirmed courts for this season:
FCSSC's (Outdoor) Sand Court Complex, located on the shores of Fanshawe Lake (inside the Conservation Area), 1424 Clarke Rd. (just north of Huron St.)
- In order to enter the park for FREE (not pay the $14 park entry fee), you must have your FCSSC keytag for the current season. ON THE FIRST NIGHT ONLY, an FCSSC staff member will meet you at the front gate to give each player a keytag. Should you not be able to play the first game of the season, keytags are also available at the FCSSC office anytime during business hours (Mon-Thur from 9:30-5:30)
- FREE access by showing the keytag is only valid during league play hours (5:30-8:30pm, M-Th). You cannot access the park for free during daytime hours, on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays (unless for a scheduled tournament) by showing the keytag.